Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 10- 13th March (Excursion to 黄鹤楼 and 古琴台)
The internet connection is getting lousier and lousier each day. It took me so long to upload the pictures and enter the net! Frustrated! :@ Late sleep + get up early for excursion = tired to the max! Met the batch at 0810 as usual before boarding the bus. The journey was about 30mins and I felt really really tired.
She's the tour guide for the day :)

It was not long after and we reached the tower. 黄鹤楼 is actually a crane tower. There is a story behind how this tower name came about and there’s a poem created too. The scenery there was beautiful! The lake, trees, decorations, architecture and shops were all one of a kind.
Don't you this it's very scenic? I likeeeee! ;)
The tour guide then explained to us some of the unique traits about some of the features present there.
I observed that the wood carvings and architecture of such places of interest are very very exquisite. Really special and nice :)

We then climbed up the 5 floors of the tower to look at the scenery and there are a few interesting pictures and carvings at each level. The view from above:I find the buildings really special- different from those in Singapore, and most of them are relatively low, unlike Singapore’s whereby majority are high rise. I reckon it is due to allow domestic airplanes to fly above without any hindrance.
Some group photos:


After that, we were brought to a restaurant in a 5 start hotel, as they mentioned, to have our lunch. It serves Chinese food, but not to the extent of typical Chinese food. The design of the hotel is different from that of Singapore’s. I believe every country just have their own distinct style. The lunch was good! :D

Next up the itenary was a visit to the古琴台. The place has several statues and sculptures which tell us their individual stories. Some examples: 伯牙, a senior officer of Jin state was dispatched to Chu state and he set out by boat.
子期 was supposed to meet 伯牙 at the foot of the Tortoise Mountain a year later. However, 子期 did not turn up and 伯牙 realised that 子期 died of illness. Being so upset, 伯牙 went to 子期’s tomb and played the music “lofty mountain and flowing water” for the last time. He broke his instrument and never played any instrument again as he feels that there is no meaning in playing after losing a bosom friend.

This is 伯牙


This tress symbolizes a special meaning for 伯牙 and 子期. It is called a bosom friend tree.

Look at the unique and colorful tiles which is used to make the roof of the pavilion.

Love to take pictures of trees and plants, especially those with weird colors :) Now that the season is changing, i believe i'll be able to capture more of these type of flowers!

More group photos :

Last site of the day, which is a park! Though I did not walk the entire area, I believe that it is a really huge one. Despite having a small range of flowers and trees there, it still seem more colorful and vibrant that our local Botanical Garden! :x Saw quite a few husband and wife-to-be taking their wedding photos there. I wouldn’t deny that it will make an awesome backdrop!
As I mentioned that I was very restless, my other friends were too. We decided to look for a nice coffee house to talk and relax instead of walking such a long distance to the shopping area and rushing back to the coach by the 2nd hour. Indeed, we found one just opposite the park! Look at the buildings! They are different from the ones i normally see. The whole stretch of road has this kind of building!
维多俐娅,Victoria Coffee House. The decoration and architecture inside has Victorian style. Most classy restaurant/ coffee house in China I’ve ever come across!
Banana boat :)

Reflection
I only realized it when I was typing the beginning of this post. It is the TENTH day! Finally we’re moving on to 2 digits! :) Time seem to pass so fast. I just can’t wait to return back to Singapore. Not because I don’t like this trip, but because it is going to be something new and special that I’ve achieved and experienced after 6 weeks. Alright, but I know it is still too early to think about this.
If one is interested about history and literature, the best place to learn is definitely China. Since yesterday, during the IS lesson, steel factory visit and today’s excursion, I’m hearing about different types of China’s history and story and it never seem to be able to end. It appears that I’ve heard a lot from the tour guides and teacher, but it is only a small and brief information about China and its’ people. Comparing with Singapore, we may not have such long history that can bring us on par with the smallest city in China! D:
When I heard that we were going over to 黄鹤楼, I was quite elated. This is because I’ve heard about this tower since young and even came across the poem.
昔人已乘黄鹤去,此地空余黄鹤楼。
黄鹤一去不复返,白云千载空悠悠。
晴川历历汉阳树,芳草萋萋鹦鹉洲。
日暮乡关何处是? 烟波江上使人愁。
However I never knew that this place really exists and have such long history behind it. What made me happier was that it is so beautiful :D I also think that the story behind 古琴台 very meaningful as it is a story about 2 bosom friends. I had a very knowledgeable and fun time today at all these places, and hopefully the coming excursions will be as enjoyable as today’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment