Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 18- 21st March (3 Gorges dam and return to Wuhan :D)
The group of us stayed up till quite late, but still managed to get up at 5.30 this morning. The amazing 2 nights on the ship has come to an end. It was time for us to pack up and return back to Wuhan.


But before we leave the city, we were brought to visit the 3 Gorges Dam Project Center- An Exhibition Center. There were 3 stations in total. First, it is a center which shows us a miniature model of the entire plant of the 3 Gorges Dam.(六闸首游客服务中心) It is of a 1:850m scale. The entire structure and configuration just looks so impressive. Just the model itself shows that advanced technology and highly skilled workers are needed.



We were given some time to walk around and tour on our own before we headed to the next location-( 185 观景点) We were given only about 10mins because all there was to see is the scenery and the other side of the dam.


Lastly, we went to the monument park (截流纪念园), where there’s a theatre that plays a movie on the 3 Gorges Dam, sculptures that portray different stories and beautiful trees and flowers.



When we were travelling around the area, we were on tour buses that have a tour guide in each bus to give us further details on the next destination we’re going to. From him/her, we managed to learn quite a bit that we won’t be able to on our own.



The idea of building a gigantic dam on the Yangtze River in the Three Gorges area was proposed more than 80 years ago by Sun Yat-Sen. After severe flooding along the river in the 1950s, Chairman Mao Tse Tung vowed to speed up construction of a massive dam. The physical dam was mostly completed in 2006. The Dam is nearly 200metres high, has a volume of 40 million cubic meters, and has created a reservoir 600km long with a total storage capacity approaching 40billion cubic meters. Before the 3 gorges dam was created, there was actually a village/ city present at the foot of those high mountains. This reservoir was completed in 2006, and it caused the water level in Qutang, Wuxia and the Western part of Xiling gorges to rise. This creation of the reservoir has resulted in relocation of a large number of people living in the city as it is now being covered entirely. In addition, the dam also changed the scenery of the 3 Gorges as it makes the mountains appear lower. There are many other impacts of constructing the dam. They include: Environmental impacts- the tremendous increase in amount of air pollutants due to burning of coal to provide electricity; fisheries impacts- there are major changes in fish populations because of the alteration of the dynamics of the river.

Before i end this post, i got to say, THANK YOU TAN SIHAO FOR SHARING ME WITH THE PICTURES ;)

Reflection
I feel so reluctant typing this post because I just did something really really stupid. I just deleted all the pictures I’ve taken this afternoon by accident. Now they’re gone for good :( My gosh! I may not be a professional photographer, but knowing that all the scenic pictures I’ve taken are lost, the feeling is really horrible, I swear. No words can ever express how I was feeling just now. I felt so lost and was dumbfounded when I realized that I deleted all my pictures. I was on the verge of tearing but I knew I had to be strong since there was nothing else I could do about it. I will learn to be more careful and not repeat the same mistake ever again :(

I’m awed by the sophisticated infrastructure and architecture that the Chinese have come up with. It is truly something that allows them to be proud of their country since it is the largest integrated water project built in the history of the world.

It isn’t my first time on a ship, but it is my first stay on a ship. As I’ve mentioned earlier on, I do not really like the idea of it as I’m afraid of accidents that may happen in the sea. However after this 3d2n, the impression I have on cruise changed. Especially when first stay I have on ship was to the 3 Gorges, the memory is even better! The scenery was superb, the food was average, the room condition was so-so and the company was best ;) These 3 days 2 nights at cruise has given me unforgettable memories and will always be etched in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment